I have studied and written about prayer as an academic, a teacher, and a practitioner, since 1989. People constantly asked me how they could learn to pray more often, feel more engaged, and enrich their prayer lives. I began the Praying Through the Bible project in 2010 as a new way to do just that. Its goal is to study every passage that even mentions prayer, beginning in Genesis and working through Revelation. It is a project that will take many years, perhaps decades. In each blog post. Beginning in Genesis, we explore every passage that even mentions prayer. We look at the background and context of the passage, the meaning of the prayer, and then how we can apply what we learn in our own prayers.
Each blog post begins with a background section, exploring its context in the Bible, history, culture, and language. Next, we discuss the meaning of the prayer—both then and now. Finally, we close with some ideas for application of what we have learned.
I’d like your help and input to make this the best prayer study and devotional ever.
Join in the conversation! Tell us your reactions to the study, your experiences with prayer, and prayer requests.
- Leave a comment on the blog at the bottom of each post
- Join the conversation on our FaceBook page.
- Follow the Twitter account, retweet, comment, and like!
If you want to support this project beyond just comments and ideas become a Partner for less than a $1 a month.
- Access to a more detailed devotional on each prayer post. More background, meaning, and application every prayer study posts online.
- Access to premium content: prayer books and other resources. Updated monthly.
- Discounts on Praying Through the Bible eBooks and print books.
- As a gift for joining, a free copy of the eBook The Practice of Prayer, Part 1: The Character of Prayer (Kindle or iBook).
Premium Plus ($17.95/year)
- All of the above, plus:
- An invite to view early manuscripts of upcoming publications, and the opportunity to critique, comment, or suggest your own stories or applications for the prayers.
- Free eBook copies of Praying Through the Bible individual volumes as they are published. (Individual volumes are studies of all the prayers in each biblical book, i.e., The Prayers of Genesis, The Prayers of Exodus, etc.).
Choose one of the memberships below to partner with Praying Through the Bible!